Some facts first. As of today, 10 and a half days after putting it onto the market, I had 15300 downloads and people still have it installed 10600 (69%). I got 263 reviews and 11 emails, most of them positive (and some of them very negative). Overall, it looks good, the app has a 4+ star rating and it is currently #7 in the Games/Casual category in the market. Better than what I was hoping for.
From the reactions it was pretty clear what to do to improve it. The most demanded features:
- Save (send, set as wallpaper) the image - this is here with v1.1
- More templates - I will add more eventually, but no promises here
- Paint with black - v1.1 has dark gray now (no black because that would easily make it unusable)
- More colors - I am not going to add more because it would be more complicated for small kids and lead to other usability problems
- Starts with a random template now
- Minor stability fixes, e.g. it does not reload when opening/closing the lid
What I learned:
#1: it always takes more than the estimate.
#2: saving images in Symbian (S60) is much simpler, it magically just works.
#3: the Market is a great way to distribute applications. I would not have get so many downloads any other way.